Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Monday, September 06, 2004

Looking Better = Working Better??

When I was in college my dad once got upset about how I was dressing for wok at the golf course. I thought I looked all right in my jean shorts, collared shirt (untucked) and tennis shoes but he thought I looked terrible. He said that I was telling people by my dress that my work was unimportant and that I should not be respected. I thought he was silly but it was a conversation I will always remember.
That brings me to an article about formal dress coming back into vogue in the workplace. It appears in the Washington Times and says

The business suit is regaining popularity in corporations nationwide reversing the trend set by the casually clad dot-com era. And some workers particularly men are even buttoning up their look voluntarily. Suits are "preferred" for both men and women. Men must wear a sports coat and/or tie if they leave their usual work area. They must wear a pressed-collar shirt and tie with any sweater.


Personally, I believe that formal dress shows self-confidence and leads to a better work environment. Others, believe that it leads to stifled creativity.

FOR DISCUSSION: What would be the result if Halstead High School adopted a business casual dress code? What would be the good and bad results?

9 Comments:

Blogger Casey Jack said...

If HHS adopted a business casual dress code, Collegiate might not call us hicks so often.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Doc said...

Pat~ I think we should i mean i would really like it... it would make me feel important and plus i just like dressing up all the time. maybe the only thing wrong with that type of dress code is the money issue but other then that im fine.......

6:50 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

I think that if Halstead adopted a casual business dresscode that there could be some potential problems. First, what's going to make the kids enjoy wearing the clothing. I think that there are several kids in this school that would rebel against it. What's wrong with just dressing the way some people do? I know that days after games and other times I just like to be casual. I think that Halstead might need a stricter dresscode(only a little though), but that's might opinion.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Naena said...

The good thing about doing something like this would be that we would look better. Like Casey Jack said.., we wouldnt be called hicks as much and it would prepare us for having to dress like that for work and interviews but i would absolutely HATE dressing up EVERY day. I dont even like to dress up for pictures let alone dressing up for nothing. I dont see whats wrong with a pair of jean/shorts and a t-shirt. I mean comeon we're in high school. It doesnt really matter what we look like. The dress code here does need to be inforced a little but i hope that it never comes down to us having to dress up everyday. ~TARA

7:18 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I thought it was interesting that today in The Wichita Eagle's opinion line (Stupid people allowed to publish stupid things! My favorite!) someone said "Wilbur Middle School needs to adopt school uniforms. That would stop all this "Goth" nonsense." Would it really? School uniforms don't control hair, makeup, etc.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Doc said...

Pat~ Whats the problem with dressing up everyday it doesnt seem to bother me? I think we should switch for my own reasons. In a way we are lazy for not wanting to look nice and not just sitting around all day. Sure let me gauge my ear until it falls off woo hoo!!!! come on think back to when you were 10 do you think that the choices you made back then were stupid? well think about what you will think of your self tens years from now will you still think that the decsions you will make are going to be stupid??? of course you will. atleast thats my opinon you can think what you want to it wont bother me but im tired of everyone not liking something that would actually improve us. *Im gonna go get 19 tatoos all over my body har har har not i would never do that* Patrick Gerstner out.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

First of all, are we talking about a stricter dress code or uniforms? I would definatly be against a uniform policy, but a slightly more formal dress code...I could live with it. The biggest problem with a "business casual dress code" or a uniform code, I think, would be the cost of buying new clothes. This is especially true for the uniforms.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Mr. Warsnak said...

But could uniformas save money, since you would not have to continuously buy in fashion clothes all of the time?

10:08 AM  
Blogger Jack Naka said...

I have a fashion bug store site. It pretty much covers fashion bug store related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter