Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Detroit 'African Town' Plan Stirs Debate

Many of you know that I have been part of a grant studying how to teach civil rights, race relations and American history through the Brown vs. Board court decision. This grant has given me the opportunity to discuss many interesting issues with other teachers, professors and experts in different areas of study. On topic that has been discussed is that the civil rights movement has slowed recently. One reason behind this could be that the African American community used to support each other socially, culturally and economically more so than now due to segregation. I am not sure I believe this but Claud Anderson does.

He believes that Detroit needs to set asides money to reestablish an African American section of the city. This would be like a Greektown, Chinatown or Mexican section of the city. The plan has little support but it is interesting to see that people in different parts of the country are discussing the exact same things that I was just a few months ago.

FOR DISCUSSION: What has happened to the strength of the Civil Rights movement? It seems that it used to have great leaders like King, Parks, Marshall and Houston but now its leadership is divided and its goals are unknown. What do you think is the reason behind it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter