Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Sunday, November 21, 2004

More Extra Credit

I have been doing research up at the National Archives in Kansas City. The focus of my research has been government policies during World War I and how they affected Kansas. During my research I have had the opportunity to see a lot of the Enemy Alien Registration Forms that people of German, Austrian, Bulgarian or Russian descent had to fill out. I look back at that chapter in history, and believe it was a mistake and wrong of the government to do this. These people were American citizens, who had done nothing wrong and there really was no reason to think they would. I consider it one of the mistakes the government has made.

FOR EXTRA CREDIT: What is another specific government mistake? This can be a government action, military decision, court decision, presidential action, or law passed. Tell about the decision and why it was such a mistake.

GRADING: Up to 10 points based on how much history you give about the decision, and your explanation as to why it was a mistake.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kacy Sue said...

Since I learning about the Reconstruction I think the decsion of Plessy Vs. Fergerson was wrong. I think it is wrong that since a guy is 1/8th black he gets arressted for riding first class in a train. He is 7/8th white i dont see the Big deal. Plessy lost the first case and finally got an appeal 6 yrs later. The case was They tried to use the 13th and 14th amendment. They knew the 13th would not go so well but it would make the 14th seem stronger. The 14th amendment was used for violence and protection. The ruling was 7-1. The court said that states can not infringe on the rights of private groups. The Railroad was a private group. Well plessy lost the case and was fined 25$. i still feel it is wrong for the Railroads to arrest him because he is 1/8th black. I think that Plessy should have won.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I could go back to my paper that I wrote on the Trail of Tears. I think that was a mistake and a huge abuse of power by President Andrew Jackson. The Supreme Court even ruled against it. The fact that Johnson just did what he wanted to and all the suffering that resulted just really bothers me. What happened to the system of checks and balances? That's supposed to prevent Presidents from doing what they want at all costs. I think Andrew Jackson made a mistake and I think the system failed in this situation.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think our more local government has made a mistake in dealing with Genesis Health Club in Wichita. In June the Wichita City Council voted in favor of giving the health club millions in special financing and tax breaks. This was a mistake since it was only helping one company, and not everyone that needed help. Only rich people can afford to go to Genesis anyway. For the rest of us there's the YMCA. Financially supporting a new Genesis building doesn't help Wichita's economy in anyway as Mayor Carlos Mayans has said. Rather it would take money from the city, which claims to be in so much need of it. This assignment is all too easy.
Dale

2:22 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

I believe the decision President Bush made to go to war was a mistake.I think we could have come up with something else then war. THe president lied to us about the weapons of mass distruction...there weren't any!! Now, thousands of soldiers are being killed and I don't believe this war is going to end anytime soon. What if they have to start drafting people? And we don't even have any established allies. So, we are basically fighting this war on our own.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter