Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Anti-Immigration Bias????

I have felt for a long time that immigrants into the US get a very bad rap from many of those who are born here. It does not matter if they are legal or illegal there still is a negative connation. I hope that this feeling is getting weaker but I am afraid the opposite is true. This from the Kansas City Star:

A state Board of Education member says students studying immigration should learn about the effect illegal immigrants have on crime rates, education costs and language barriers. Connie Morris, no stranger to criticism for her opposition to state-funded education for the children of illegal immigrants, says proposed curriculum on immigration should include study of possible drawbacks of illegal immigration."It's facts; it's history," Morris said. "Our children should not be subjected to inaccurate, one-sided dogma."

I would really like to know the facts she is talking about and the history that she is studying. Everything I have read seems to point to the benefits of immigration yet Connie Morris sees things very different. I would be interested to see her proof.

FOR DISCUSSION: Are immigrants into the US treated fairly?


3 Comments:

Blogger Casey Jack said...

Oh boy, Mr. Warsnak. Are you starting up this argument again?

5:24 PM  
Blogger Mr. Warsnak said...

It's my pet issue that I like to keep people upto date on. There aren't a lot of pro-immigration people out there and I am trying to change minds through thoughtful debate.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Casey Jack said...

Hey Mr. Warsnak

Have you heard about the How-To Guide that the Mexican government is publishing and printing?

It's called "The Guide for the Mexican Immigrant" and it basically details the best methods for someone to come across the border. It gives out tips for what to do when someone is coming across the border illegally.

I found it interesting. I know that the intended purpose was to protect the lives of people who have already made the decision to come across, but it really looks as though the Mexican Government is encouraging illegal immigration.

Just wondering what your opinion was on it.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter