Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

More Student Opinions

Casey brings up another intersting point about the environment:

Global warming is a theory, at best.

Yup. Say what you want, but the fact of the matter is that no one has proven that rising CO2 levels are causing these drastic changes in the global climate. Even the EPA says that "uncertainties exist" about the effects of CO2 on climate. While it sure may be easy to blame Global Warming on CO2, no one really knows if that is the true cause of climate change.

I do have my doubts about the effects of CO2 - Of the earth's entire atmosphere, carbon dioxide makes up a measly .035% of it. I have seen reports of where in the last 50 years, CO2 levels have risen from 316 parts per million to 369 parts per million - a 16% increase. A 16% increase in a gas that only makes up .035% of the atmosphere. And I am supposed to believe that this tiny change will melt the polar ice caps, sink New York City, and provide a set for The Second Day After Tomorrow in the next century? Excuse me if I'm being a little outrageous, but that's just outrageous.


FOR DISCUSSION: What arguments can be made against Casey's point of view?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
This is Clemens.
Well, Casey, I have to agree that it has not eventually been proven that CO2 ist the only reason for global warming. But on the other hand, nobody, who says he's an expert on that issue, has spoken against it, either. Even though CO2 probably is not the only reason, it certainly is a contributing factor.
Imagine it would not be a factor: The atmosphere would be made of Oxygen(20%), nitrogen(40%), and carbon dioxid(40%). If CO2 does not affect the world's climate, like Casey stated, there would be no changes anywhere for the environment....
Although I cannot really state the exact changes that would take place if the case described above happened, one can probably assume that living conditions would aggravate. So, where is the difference whether little or big changes take place. The situation will not improve and if nothing is done, it is very likely that it will fire back at us some day...
Maybe others disagree, but that is my opinion...

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! This is Becky. Apparently, my user ID doesn't work anymore, and I can't figure it out! No one will probably read this post since it's been a while. But I have been quite busy! Anyway, I have really liked reading everyone's posts. It's made me think about a lot of things. Often I get really excited and wrapped up that I just think that I'm right all the time and go spouting off all this stuff. Sorry! I know I've learned a LOT since I've been at college. You think that I'd be more radical now that I'm surrounded by people that actually agree with my values and beliefs and don't trash them, but I've really started thinking more deeply about issues and how to formulate my arguments. It's easy to make snide remarks about the other political party that make you sound like you know what you're talking about, but that's really started to bother me lately. It makes me uncomfortable to hear people bash political parties and leaders now because it hurt my feelings when people did that to me, so I know I'd be hurting someone elses feelings if I did it to them. I'm really working hard at formulating arguments that don't get totally obnoxious but make you think. I apologize if any of the posts I posted were dumb like that. But I still stand by my main belief that I think we're really putting the earth at risk! Stuff might not be proven, but nothing is really truely proven...but I just can't put aside the thought that putting tons of carbon dioxide into the air isn't doing SOMETHING wrong. Anyway, I am glad I've read so many posts, because I"ll probably use those counter arguments to use in a speech I'll be doing for one of my classes. I hope to keep reading things that make me think!

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter