Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

My Professional Summer Plans

I do believe this will be my busiest summer ever. It is absolutely full of professional development which I am very excited about but at the sametime it is going to leave less time for fun and relaxing which my students know is my primary summer goal (no summer jobs for me). So what am I doing?

1. I am on the teacher advisory committee for the new Five Star Leadership program at the Eisenhower Library. By the way, the pilot program was a great success and my students really enjoyed simulating the D-Day decision.

2. My Masters Program through eHIKES, part of the Teaching American History Grant, is in full swing. This summer it looks like some research on the homefront during military conflicts and the influence of some Supreme Court decisions. I think this work will easily be integrated into my classes next year.

3. I am still a mentor on another Teaching American History grant, The Legacy of Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education. This year we are focusing on the fifty years that preceded the Brown Decision. I should gain some good content knowledge from this program.

4. I am still the head of the Social Studies department at Halstead High School and now a member of the Subject Area Committee in charge of developing a needs assessment for our school.

5. Lastly, I have contract negotiations to deal with. The next meeting in June 15th unless the Kansas Supreme Court render its decision before that point (which I think they will). The negotiations should go smoothly but I do feel bad that we are sending teachers home without a new contract for next year.

6. Basketball camps and clinics through out the summer during the open weeks. These don't take a lot of time and are fun for the most part.

I also hope to spend time with my parents and maybe go to Louisville to see my Brother In Law. From the looks of it I am slightly overbooked, but I think it will be pretty fun plus I am going to move over on the pay scale!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter