Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Thursday, May 26, 2005

A Nice Teaching Blog

With the end of the school year it is already time to look at ideas for next year. I came across this blog, Outside [The Cave] and it looks like there are some pretty good suggestions for blogging in class and some project ideas that woluld get the students motivated in history. I especially like this one:

  • I want them to create a presentation of some sort based onThe Daily Show. The content of the presentations will be based on places and times we have studied throughout the year (prehistory -> Renaissance in the West, and Ming Dynasty in the East)
  • Each group will have the option of presenting a video or "live" in class. Groups presenting live will be required to submit a script.
  • Each group will have the option of choosing to concentrate on either a certain time, or a certain place, with teacher approval.
  • Each group will be assessed on [at least] Humor/Entertainment Value, Accuracy (and existence) of historical content, Professionalism of presentation (sets, visual aides, costumes, etc). Once we actually get started with putting the projects together, we will discuss and construct a very specific rubric so each group knows what the expectations are.
  • There will be a blogging requirement for each group

I am not a big fan on just coit.ming up with projects because they sound fun, instead I like to come up with projects that fit with the material I want the students learn but I must admit I have a certain weakness for satire. What do you think of it?

2 Comments:

Blogger stephen lazar said...

In case you didn't catch the later post, the final assignment is gave to my students is here. I'm also in the unique situation that I have to finish the content for the course five weeks before the end of school due to state testing. So there was no new content I needed the students to learn (though they are doing further research on whatever subject they chose, so will learn new things in that manner). I think this assignment could easily be adapted to learn content by shortening the final product requirements and adding in a more rigourus research component.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Mr. Warsnak said...

Thank you very much for the link. It is an intereting project and has given me some good ideas. Thank you very much.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter