Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Day 1: Dorm Living Is Not the Life For Me

The first day of my Brown vs. Board: Legacy of Brown conference was productive and enjoyable. We arrived on the Washburn campus for a week of dorm living. Dorms are a lot nicer than when I was in college but they are still dorms and I am glad I will only be in them for a week.

We did the usual introduction stuff, then went to the Monroe Elementary school which is now a national park, for lunch, a tour and of to preview a new CD-Rom that they have for classroom use. It was interesting and I really like the way they have set up the school. I am thinking that I might bring my Sociology class to the museum next fall when we are covering race/culture.

After the museum we had dinner and then listened to a lecture from Dr. David Roediger. He has written a few books on the idea of whiteness and his presentation was interesting. He discussed a lot about teaching race and did not really get into his books that much but still it was a good session.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter