Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Blog Entry #5 Harlem Renaissance

Today's lecture on the Harlem Renaissance was one of my favorite parts of the week. Often times in education teachers are requested to integrate other curriculum areas into their own curriculum. This can be very difficult and if done incorrectly the artificialness of the product detracts from both areas. That is the beauty of the Harlem Renaissance. There is a clear opportunity to integrate art, literature and history to create a situation where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Dr. Wintz provided some great examples that can easily be used in class plus his background material with race riots and views of African Americans all will build for quality instruction. Then if that all was not enough, the Kansas connections address more standards and once again will help students to make connections to history. Needless to say, I am excited about teaching this next year, and even better, I think the students will enjoy learning the Harlem Renaissance.

1 Comments:

Blogger randini said...

I took pleasure in the site and I will go back!
Surfing online for blogs like this one is worth my
time. Sensational blog.
Once you sign on, check for my blog.

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter