Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Day 4 of Brown Vs. Topeka Board

Well, today took the cake. I think I had the quintessential Kansas City experience on Thursday. As part of the grant we took a trip to KC to see some of the famous aspects of African American life from days gone by. This meant we were off to 18th and Vine:

We went to the KC Jazz Museum: It was wonderful. The music clips were interesting and the material that went along with the displays explained everything well.

Next we went to the Negro Baseball museum. Kansas City had one of the best negro teams, the Kansas City Monarchs, and the museum really celebrated the history of the league well.

Then we went to the old African American Musicians Union Hall. This run down building was next to an old closed down transient hotel and inside we heard a twenty piece jazz band play for us. It was fantastic to hear their stories and listen to them play the old big band music from the Duke Ellington band.

Finally, to top it off we had Gates BBQ which has the best ribs I have ever tasted. All of the sides were good too, but those ribs were just too much.

Anyway, the day was both enjoyable, educational and I will remember it for a long time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was in Kansas City this weekend! I went on a Segway tour!!!
~Becky

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter