Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A New Drug Test Policy

There was an interesting article in the Wichita Eagle looking at a new drug policy in the maize School District. Here is the overview of the policy:

Maize school students this year must be willing to submit to a drug test at the request of school staff or they won't be allowed to participate in extracurricular activities. School district officials said the new drug and alcohol testing policy is intended to keep schools safe. Any student who wants to participate in school activities must sign a form in which he agrees to come to school drug- and alcohol-free. Parents must also sign the form.

If a student and his parents don't sign the form, the student isn't allowed to participate. The policy says that if a student is suspected of being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the student will be taken to a local drug testing facility and asked to undergo a test.


This policy is a little different than most schools' drug policies and I am not sure that I like it. I don't like the idea of saying that students will be tested based on suspicion. I like the drug testing idea but I believe it should be random. In a perfect world I would randomly test all students who go to school but that's not going to happen.

FOR DISCUSSION: Will the Maize policy be successful in keeping their schools safer? What would help keep drugs and school out of schools?

1 Comments:

Blogger Steven Westphal said...

Your site is great. Feel free to contribute some info or articles about combus drug georgia rehab

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter