Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Racism and the Hurricane

There has been a lot of discussions about captions pertaining to the hurricane victims. I would hope the wording was unintentional but at the very least I think it warrents some thinking about. I have included some of the discussion from Salon.com and the pictures:

Two photographs of New Orleans residents wading through chest-deep water unleashed a wave of chatter among bloggers Wednesday about whether black people are being treated unfairly in media coverage of post-hurricane looting.

One of the images, shot by photographer Dave Martin for the Associated Press, shows a young black man wading through chest-deep waters after "looting" a grocery store, according to the caption. The young man appears to have a case of Pepsi under one arm and a full garbage bag in tow. In the other, similar shot, taken by photographer Chris Graythen for AFP/Getty Images, a white man and a light-skinned woman are shown wading through chest-deep water after "finding" goods including bread and soda, according to the caption, in a local grocery store.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, If the two images were captured by the same association, then I would go with what alot of bloggers are saying. "There has to be someone in need of punishing for this." As I have seen on many different blogs recently. But since there is no correlation, I would have to say that the captions only reflected bias.

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter