Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

School Improvement (extra credit)

Recently, our high school has become part of a nation wide project known as Breaking Ranks II. It is sponsored by the Gates Foundation and its goal is to bring about high school reform. It's focus is adding rigor to the curriculum and instructions and personalization of the school environment which I do not think anyone can argue about (in fact this seems pretty obvious). However, the question comes up about how to do these things? For our school of 250 students with a good track record, I would think we would have the ability to do some impressive things if we want to.

FOR DISCUSSION: What changes can Halstead High School implement to increase student performance?

2 Comments:

Blogger Corey Wells said...

I think that rules and regulations need to be stricter and in some circumstances, the classroom environment needs to be more professional and more on task. I am not saying that we don't need to have fun, but in some classes, nothing is accomplished, and the students need to be held responsible for the entire period. Right now, it is too easy for people to do well by not doing anything on their own. There needs to be a little more individualization as far as assignments themselves go, but I do need an A in your class still!!!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Mr. Warsnak said...

When you say "more professional" what do you mean. Explain what you feel that would look like.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter