Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Monday, January 02, 2006

An Interesting School Debate

Mr. Gerber (the other social science teacher) and me have been having an interesting debate over President Bush and the legality of the wiretaps on international calls. While I think the wire taps seem to be legal, I totally disagree with there use. My feeling on the whole deal are reflected in this article, We Need Domestic Spying

What I am afraid we will see is a tug-of-war between those who place a greater priority on preventing terrorist attacks and those who place a greater priority on reining in the spying agencies. Instead, an independent agency responsible for auditing domestic intelligence could add a layer of protection against abuse while also identifying weaknesses and shortcomings in our intelligence system.

Without an independent audit agency, the oversight of domestic intelligence is going to be spotty and ineffective. There will be Congressional hearings now and then, the occasional official study (think of the 9/11 Commission), and other episodic checks in response to notable events or revelations. However, the issue of domestic spying is too important to be dealt with in such an irregular, incomplete fashion. Auditing our security apparatus needs to be a process, not an event.


I also concur with this statement from James Joyner

While Drum'’s speculation about the nature of the program is just that, he'’s almost certainly right that there is more going on here than meets the eye. We'’ll learn more in the coming days and months, as the press, the Congress, and the courts do their jobs.

This story will not die easily and I think the ramifications might be large.

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter