Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Thoughts and Reflections

Well, the year is just about done and these are a few of my observations and feelings:

1. Our school changed the grading scale to 90-80-70-65. This is not a huge change and it is being sold as lowering the standard to raise the expectations. I voted for it because I did not see it having a major impact on the way that I teach or the process that my students go through to learn. Still, the perception is that we simply lowered the standard.

2. I was notified I would be getting a Deans Honors for my masters degree since I have a 4.0 GPA. I found it interesting the fact in high school I graduated with a 3.2 and then I got a 3.8 GPA for my BSE and now I'm up to a 4.0 for my graduate degree. I must have gotten smart at some point? I wonder what I would get with a doctorate degree.

3. Golf is great. I enjoy my team, the other school's coaches, my assistant coach and most everything about this season. There are always small road bumps but overall it has been my most enjoyable season in the past four years. Regionals are Monday and we have a slightly outside shot of qualifying someone for state.

4. The seniors graduate this weekend. They have been a solid class with a good variety of people. Too many of them are graduating with the idea that gas prices are high because oil companies are greedy but that is their fault for not taking my economics class. I hope they don't do anything stupid this week to tarnish their image as they leave.

5. My teaching this year would earn a grade of a C+ or B-. It has not been as strong as years past but I know exactly what I want to do to improve. Also, my economics class was excellent and my US history class did pretty well. Next year, I already know what I need to do to improve so I am cautiously optimistic about the future.

6. I found out that there is a campaign to get me to run for president on facebook.com. I think my chances of winning are a bit weak since I am only 31 but I must admit the picture they have makes me want to vote for myself.

7. The summer will be really busy but fun. I have a week long seminar in at Washburn, two weeks in Parsons and a road trip to Washington DC along with golf, basketball and a new closet. Luckily I don't have to work in the summer so I have plenty of time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Kyle Jacob said...

1. Ya, i agreee with the standards being lowerd.... to tell the truth i realy didnt care at all about it untill about two days ago when my english paper was passed back and i had recived a 91% (a B)... so now i support the 90-80-70 because well... it benefits me!

2. you are getting your masters with a 4.0?!?! congrats... i dont know about the whole getting smarter... but then again you did have the honor of having me 2 hours a day so maybe that could be why... dont worry theres no need to thank me.

3. Golf... just an excuse for you to leave school and play a round of golf.

4. Seniors... Jacks leaving... that stinks. What am i going to do!?

5. C+ or a B-??? is this on the 90-80-70 scale? i would give it a low A only because of those WORKSHEETS in U.S. History, oh and by the way i noticed you only rated the classes im in.

6. ahhh... Warsnak For President.. you know you have a few seniors who need a good 'ol fasion SNAK DOWN!! some think your not right for the job.. can you belive that??

7. Back to D.C. huh? thats two times in just a few months... maybe you should think about running.. your already there enough anyway.

P.S. i like how you structure your posts.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter