Name:
Location: Halstead, Kansas, United States

This is my seventh year at Halstead which is also where I live with my wife and my soon to be two year old daughter.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Unintentional Sexism????

I got take out Chinese food last night for dinner since I was too lazy to Mac anything at home. As I was finishing up my delicious meal my wife opened a fortune cookie and here is what it said:

Behind an able man, there are always other able men
.

Looking at the quote I suppose it could be read many different ways:

1. The term man was used to simplify the fortune and there was no sexism intended. This would be akin to saying "all men are created equal."

2. It was meant to be funny since most people would expect the quote to say behind an able man is an able woman.

3. It is a straight up sexist quote

4. It was unintentional but some people might read it as sexist.

Your Opinion: What is your take on the quote?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Paul said...

Its a competetive world.. Behind every man are other able men . . . Everything you can do, others can do too.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got one the other day "Today: Show your feminine side." Sounded more like a horoscope.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter